30 Jul 2007

Ahh...those were the days!

"Okay..Please frame a sentence on 'Capital Punishment'"
And she asked one hand among the many to stand up and speak.

"The cricket players are often given capital punishment for misbehavior with other players and umpires during the match" said the B.Tech. Mechanical Engineering First Year student with proud.

"whooops...I guess that would be a rather strict punishment for this offence" Said an amused Ms. Gaur, our communications teacher.

Shitttt !! I had shone my gem again. Derived the meaning of an idiom from the literal meaning of its components!
But perhaps it wasn't as bad as when I told that day, regretfully, to one of my batch mates in the first year hostel that my 'Vulcubatory' was weak. "Indeed your 'Vocabulary' is rather pathetic pal", said an amused abhishek too. But how he knew! I wondered.

And then there is the classic I have never dared mention to anybody. My first month in an english medium school after studying in a hindi medium school up to class 6th. Late admission I was because of the timing of the transfer of my dad. Winters came and the annual circular came to all the classes. Our beloved class teacher V.P.Singh (alias Videshi Pilla for the initials V.P.) signed the circular register and announced:

"Everybody has to wear blazer from 15th of this month."

Whattt! Had he gone crazy, asked a bewildered I to my bench mate in a hushed voice after the initial impact settled down.

"Why! Whats wrong?"
"You are asking me whats wrong! Can't you just see whats wrong!"

After 2 minutes of bewildered exchange of words from both sides, realizing what I was confusing it with, Maninder explained to me that 'Blazer' and 'Brassier' are two different things!

Ah..if that's the case then it's okay. I would feel more confident in a blazer than in a...err..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one is too Good boss..!!!

Sodium said...

Thanks :)
Mind writing your name too with your comments!
--sodium

Swati said...

Funny :D

Kuddos to you for accepting your weakness or 'then a weakness' in public

Sodium said...

Thanks di :0)