21 Apr 2011

Being consultant..

There are three types of days in a consultant's life:
  1. When client is working and the Firm is working - Consultant works
  2. When client is not working but the Firm is working - Consultant works
  3. When the Firm is not working but client is working - Consultant works
Comp(ensatory) offs?!! What are they?

But life is lousy for a consultant, I tell ya! Why? Here is how a friend put it:
  1. You work very odd hours.
  2. You spend a majority of your time in a hotel room.
  3. Your client pays for your hotel room plus your hourly rate.
  4. You are paid a lot of money to keep your client happy.
  5. Creating fantasies for your clients is rewarded.
  6. People ask you what you do and you can't explain it.
  7. It's difficult to have a family.
I agreed till I 'stepped back' and realized that he had just made me look like a prostitute!

But then sample my own experience when my girlfriend went to tell her mom about me:
  1. Her mom didn't recognize my B school's name (IIM is known to every infant in India but ISB is not)
  2. She had never heard my Firm's name (my firm doesn't brand/advertise itself)
  3. She didn't understand even my profession (my girlfriend was also not very sure how to explain. Poor girl just believed me when I told her that I also do something respectable)
  4. She was convinced that I do something shady when she heard that despite being from an unknown college, working with an 'obscure' firm, in an unheard profession, I earn well.
Only three letters do justice to my feelings...

...WTF!

6 comments:

Swati said...

Loved this post :) LOL!

TotalBakar said...

Dada ...good to see your blog after long time...looks like enjoying the work ;)

HR Management said...

Nice Blog man i Like this your post. But man Different people mean different things when they think of "consulting." I shared to your blog..


Thanks for...
Human Resources Management

Abhishek... said...

Best wishes buddy :)

kalpana said...

All the best Dude!!! I like your Thought..

Master of Public Administration

Emergency and Disaster Management said...

Great!!!!!!
Love this post..