29 Feb 2008

What to do in the 'Red Light' area...

It's been 2 years to me traveling 12 Kms to office and back home everyday and whereas it was hectic in the beginning, I accepted it in due course of time. That was when I started observing other people on my way. And by now, thanks to the observer in me, I have about half a dozen trends on my book.

Whereas a few of them are disturbing, the most recent one is the funniest. So, if you feel bored waiting on traffic signals, this funny one would help you enjoy your time on the red lights. Oh yes, you would be able to observe it only on two conditions. One, you are in one of those tier 2 cities like NOIDA that have started to have some organized traffic but still don't have proper traffic law enforcement system. Two, you yourself wait for the traffic light to turn green before you cross the signal. Of course, we both know that you do. I just mentioned the second point for the sake of completeness.

And let's not forget that the people in such cities are mostly middle class educated ones, true ambassadors of Indian culture. This poor creature's observation is about the behaviour of those ambassadors on traffic signals in such places. It's frighteningly simple to observe and is, somewhere, a menifestation of a child in all of us.

When the signal is red and the timer beside it shows more than about 40 seconds, you may easily notice even the slow ones hesitantly seeing both ways and jumping it as if it doesn't exist. 'Well, what the hell, if I wait for it I'll be late for my daughter's tuition classes. And anyway the road is not very busy at the moment', is perhaps what goes on in their minds.
On the contrary, when it shows less than about 15 seconds, even the speediest of those responsible dad's would screech the brakes obediently. You might find them even respecting the zebra crossing at such instances. Needless to say, a sense of self righteousness or may be a contentment with fulfillment of their duties as a citizen of the country is what inflates them with self-pride at such moments.

I tried to observe the behaviour for between 15 and 40 seconds too but couldn't make out any specific trend. If you can, please don't forget to put me a comment here. Will you !

1 comment:

rajat said...

Have you observed the behaviour when the timer shows 120 seconds. Only the real pastriots are seen at this time waiting at the signal. Otherwise you know wat happens usually :-)