15 Feb 2009

the fascination of being in america

Sometimes, on my way to office or back, I look around and say to myself - "This is America." The dream of more than half of India. The land of the rich, the educated, and the leaders. I say to myself - "This is America. I am standing on the American soil. I am touching the American trees." I try to see if I can fascinate myself the same way as are a large number of people back home.

But all I can feel fascinated about is me standing on the globe at a position almost diameterically opposite to my home. Either I am upside down or they are. Or we both are at different times of the day.

Early days have been difficult here, without a car, with not enough disposable money (saving for my MBA fees), and everything in a flux. But I don't ask myself questions whether I like America or not. Whether I would want to stay here for long or settle here sometime or not. I want to do well in whatever I choose to do in my career and if that means going around the world, thoughts about liking or disliking where I go would do no good to my career. In all probability, my job would take me around the world a lot. The question of where I base myself wouldn't be all that relevent.

No comments: