30 May 2009

Diversity in action..

What's up with all those advertising wizards! I asked this advertising industry alum during breakfast what the backgrounds of his study group mates were. And the guy says - Me, three IITians and one engineer. 

WTF!!  %$#^@$ 

Doesn't he know that IITs produce engineers, at least on paper. Yeah, I put this modifier to the last sentence precisely because of that finger you are pointing at me. Loser!

Anyways. Even as I tried to forget this out of my respect for his seniority, this second creative jam in our section poked me in the rib, in the middle of the class.

"What man! What's with the handwriting of all those statisticians? All of them write like a doctor's prescription!" Said the former creative head of an Advertising firm, sitting beside me in the statistics class and gulping coffee after coffee to keep awake, dyslexic from having seen all kinds of greek symbols over the board in the last one hour.
"Just look at how he is drawing the simple differential sign everywhere. The guy can't even draw a 'd' straight." He said about the single letter he seemed to identify on the board, from having taken the pre terms in quants.

I looked at my (under)priviledged, diversity friend and felt a pang of Sympathy for the English Literature graduate who writes a new poem on every occassion here and whose straight face is already funny enough that I don't need such provocations from him in the middle of the class. The professor had indeed been accentuating the tilt in the 'd' of differential. Putting my hand around him to cushion the blow, I told him that the '' on the board was called a partial differential in Mathematics.

Poor guy looked at me, offended. "WTF is that!"

The dinner table laughed for 5 minutes non stop in the night.

2 comments:

Abhishek... said...

I hope he'll now start learning Greek Lit :D :)

Sodium said...

:D

Next term has some subjects that put engineers at an advantage. All those CAs and advertising guys are already sweating :P