23 May 2009

Second among equals...

I am under tremendous pressure. Everybody here is so damn focussed on marks. Whenever in my past I have got marks, I have worked very very hard for them, forsaking everything else. And today I see two choices:

- Work single mindedly hard and match 'em.
- Keep getting average + 2/3 marks and work towards things I deem important for my personality.

Anyone with a common sense would tell me to choose the second. I want to do that. But it's not 2008. The pressure here in this market is tremendous. Consulting firms shortlist on the basis of grades and you got to be among the top 50 to crack one of those. Though there are several other relevant arguments too:

- If I only focus on marks, then I do not develop other aspects of my personality that I clearly find important. This might also come in my way of shortlist by the top consulting firms.
- I might harm myself in the long run too by not developing 360 degrees.
- Obviously, I am not happy.

But the market is really bad and all of us are in a huge debt now. What if we don't even land a decent paying job with average marks!

I always get myself into such situations when I want to fast forward life and be certain of what happened eventually. When will I start to live the present!

2 comments:

Abhishek... said...

My findings and solutions to the similar problems faced by me...

1. Indian Grading system sucks, even at the B school level, so dnt care abt it, u shd get placed in a company whr they see u can add value and generate revenue for them, not because they feel since u get good grads they shd hire u. this is good 4 u in long run by two ways: a) u'll b able to improve urself to the level u want. b) u'll be working in an organisation which believes in ur application of knowledge skills rather than scoring in exam skills, so by this, u'll also bcum happy and will b able to wrk more efficiently.

2. Not all companies go for marks, I have 10th and 12th %ages in sixties, still I got the call from 4/5 of my top preferences (Including 1 hardcore business consultancy - E&Y)

3. U'll never ever live in ur present until n unless u r nt gng to live in today's moment now only. Insaan ki fitrat hai ki uski apekshayen badhti jaati hain.... so just live in ur present. The last point is too philosophical to handle, didn't want to give the gyan sort of thing, but felt u r in dillemma so just blurt it.

Disclaimer: these r my findings, so take ur own decisions, this path may or may not lead u to success :) ;) :D

Sodium said...

Thanks abhishek.

Though I know it all myself, still, hearing it from somebody still helps :)

And thanks a lot for taking out time for me