20 May 2009

Rohm&Haas - the best case ever..



Huh...the days are flying by. Term 1 ends in another 10 days. Today was the first day in one month when I left my quad at 7.50 am and came back at 1 am in the night. It was one of those very happening days that define the life@ISB.

First, I and one of my study groupies were discussing the Rohm&Haas case on the steps of the academic building at 5 in the evening when the documentary guys spotted us and came to shoot a video on us. They are making it a part of the movie on life@ISB. This movie will be screened in all the admission information sessions across the world this year onwards. We were anyway discussing a marketing case and our animated discussion seemed to them a fit on the subject. CDs will come in about 3 weeks, they said. I can't wait!

Not long ago, we aspired to be a part of this school and today we represent it! I was so thrilled to be the part of this movie that I could not concentrate on the case anymore and used the time sleeping in the class room while the other groupies put together the slides. We are three IITians (one of them been in sales for the last 15 years), one CA, and one corporate trainer in our group. When I woke up an hour later, the sales guy and the trainer girl were almost starting to prepare the speech to go with it. We heard the two of them go through the ppt once when an idea struck me. Anyway, this case doesn't have too many numbers, the ppt is gonna lull the audience into sleep. Why not do a play on it. The idea fired up everybody's imagination. We dropped the idea of ppt, had a quick dinner, and met at Krishna's studio (single apt flat) to rehearse for the play. The way it has come out after an hour of practice, none of us can concentrate on any more pre reads for tomorrow. We just want to get to the marketing class and rock section A. Who knew a case on metal cutting fluid biocides could ignite a chartered accountant and a corporate trainer so much.

The two (CA and corporate trainer) got a touch of the creative diversity of this place today, just as we engineers will get from them some day in some other accounts or HR related case perhaps! Anyway, I have already begun to like balance sheets and financial statements so much that at times I have thought that a career in finance might be an interesting choice afterall, notwithstanding the scary market scene.

-------------------------------------------------------
21-May-2009
-------------------------------------------------------

The skit went really cool. Here is a pic of me (left) and Somesh (with the mic) performing.




3 comments:

Abhishek... said...

Sparkling Idea dude... I will also implement if not copyrighted :)

TotalBakar said...

dada do you have any video of that ..I would love to see that .... "A Play In ISB on Case" :)

Sodium said...

@Abhishek

Thanks :) No copyrights :)

@Ravi

Dada, I have the video but it's 200+ MB. How to share :(