11 Dec 2008

Whatttt !! ISB ?!!

It's difficult people. It's not easy.

A GMAT score of 780 comes rarely and when you have it, people don't congratulate as much on your admission into the Indian School of Business, the top B school in India, as they ask you why you are not going abroad for your MBA.

What to tell you guys. Just understand that I don't have money even to pay for any other offer acceptance. It costs to go and study abroad on your own without a monthly pay check. And you have to think twice before taking such a huge education loan. There are many other family responsibilities too. Many bills to pay once you get married.

I may sound stupid, but can't help feeling miserable about people's expectations from me.

2 comments:

Nikhil said...

I can definitely identify with what you are feeling! Initially I used to get defensive and start giving explanations, but then suddenly realized that I need not give any! Its my life and my decision, if all others knew what it would take to repay a loan taken in the US for $100,000, they wouldn't be asking this question. So I just let it be... all I do now is flash the a big toothy smile and the question goes away!

Sodium said...

Thanks Nikhil for the words :)

ya, I am trying something similar now :) This loan for HBS, wharton would not be just $100k. The total expenses go up to about $160-180k. The loan amount would depend upon the scholarship you get.

But my final argument in favour of this decision was that people who have built admirable businesses from scratch were mostly non-MBAs. If I want to do something and if I have potential to do that, I can do it with any reasonably good degree and ISB is way above that reasonable level.
Rather than spending my time on writing more essays for the top B schools, if I spend my time making an even better person out of me, then with this ISB degree, I can do much better in life.
Also when you have lesser liability after your MBA, you can take more risks, and I want to build a business.