20 Dec 2009

Miles to go before I sleep..

Huh...did I say life is fun?

I completed my 27th round around the sun today. The entire campus partied on this occasion. They called Raghu Dixit to perform. Our own class of '10 band performed and was amazing at that. Ya of course they dunked me in the pool at the start of the day - 12 midnight and smeared cake all over my face and head. And then we partied till 7 in the morning. The alums danced, students danced, spouses danced, and we gulped 1000 liters of alcohol. That alum in the morning was watching me with pity when I wasn't able to find my way to my SV. But I couldn't even see the road still! How could I know where to go! And they let me sleep for 4 hours only and started calling me up at 11 in the morning to wish me. The relatives and friends.

And just when I would say Man! this is the best birthday ever! my calender threw a reminder - McKinsey case preparation session due at 1 pm. I was still heavy with a hangover but had to drag myself into the shower for full 15 minutes in the vein hope that my head would feel a little better. That didn't happen. I spent the rest of the day from 1 pm to 8 pm doing cases with McKinsey alums. And what I get at the end of it? Guys, the preparation level of your batch is nowhere close to where the last year batch was by this time. You need to put in effort. Now how do I tell those guys that I am submitting one fucking assignment everyday, every assignment takes up at least 3/4th of my night, and then whatever time I find, like a machine I try to do a case or two. We did it in our times guys, nothing is new, they would quip. Now say, what a birthday!

But truly, what a birthday! This is the first one when I can look back and say yes today I have all that I wanted by this stage. And just when I want to sit back and relax, the McKinsey alums are here to tell me that this is just the end of the beginning...

A beautiful poem my Robert Frost to sum it all..

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep

2 comments:

Swati said...

Happy Birthday again !

Anchal said...

Hehe!
Nd yes...I love this poem! :)